Remote Web Developer Jobs
7 Jobs Posted
Senior Software Engineer - NodeJs / Web Technologies - REMOTE
Join Capillary Digital’s engineering team to help us build the foundations that will power the next generation of digital applications and online services. Capillary has helped to accelerate many of the world’s most innovative companies by using our team of experienced developers, designers, strategists, and data scientists to craft applications and services that drive meaningful experiences between our clients and their customers.
In addition to your technical responsibilities, you will be expected to mentor and guide more junior engineers on the team, ensuring that they are adhering to best practices and delivering high-quality work. You will also collaborate closely with our Product Owners to ensure that all deliverables are completed on-time and to the highest possible standard.
At Capillary, we are trusted advisors and we take pride in meeting our clients where they are, meaning we adopt and develop their applications and services using technologies, tools, and frameworks that best suit our client’s specific business needs. Because of this, our engineers must be comfortable with learning new technologies, frameworks, systems, and problem domains. You will:
- Help drive sound technical decision making and participate in technical conversations with other teams across Capillary
- Lead the design, development, and maintenance of innovative web-based applications, APIs, and systems that meet the unique needs of our clients.
- Collaborate closely with other engineers, architects, and designers to ensure the technical feasibility, scalability, and maintainability of web-based projects.
- Actively participate in defining and driving the overall technical strategy for the engineering team, including evaluating new tools and technologies that can improve our development process and increase efficiency.
- Mentor and guide more junior engineers on the team to help them grow in their roles and careers, providing feedback and coaching on best practices, code reviews, and other aspects of software engineering.
You may be fit for this role if you:
- Have at least 5 years of experience as a software engineer or a related field, with a strong background in web technologies and software engineering principles.
- Have extensive experience building and maintaining complex web-based applications, APIs, and systems using modern web frameworks and technologies such as React, React Native, Angular, Vue.js, Node.js, GraphQL, Next.js, and Vercel.
- Have solid experience integrating with and managing relational databases like MySQL, MSSQL, etc.
- Have solid experience working with container based development and deployments.
- Have solid experience with cloud infrastructure and cloud services like AWS, GCP, Azure, etc.
- Are comfortable working in an agile, collaborative, and fast-paced environment, with the ability to adapt to changing requirements and priorities as needed.
- Have excellent communication, interpersonal, and leadership skills, with the ability to work effectively with cross-functional teams, including Product Owners, Designers, QA Engineers, and other stakeholders.
- Are passionate about web technologies and software engineering best practices, with a strong desire to stay up-to-date on emerging trends and technologies in the field.
- Hold yourself and others to a high bar when working with production systems
You might work on:
- Manage node based APIs in a robust cloud infrastructure.
- Develop and maintain React Native mobile applications used by tens of thousands of monthly active users.
- Create beautiful and engaging marketing sites using Next.js and Vercel for fortune 500 companies.
- Work with the latest, cutting edge technologies in the web platform space to architect mobile and web applications using the same codebase with React Native and React.js
What’s it like to work at Capillary?
We look at Capillary’s service offerings as a constant work in progress and the same is true of our people; for all of us, we believe the best is yet to come. We’re here to support each other in our curiosity and creativity – which we pursue through thoughtful discussion and knowledge-sharing among a diverse set of peers and colleagues.
We want to work in a company of warm, inclusive people who treat their colleagues exceptionally well. The kind of people who are committed to going out of their way to help other team members in the short-term and pushing them to improve over the long-term (by helping them to get better at what they do).
We’re a highly cross-functional organization and view that as part of the fun: we design our office and communication channels to encourage as much collaboration as possible. We also have a culture of transparency that we carry through to email communication, ensuring that everyone at Capillary has the information they need to make good local decisions.
We are an innovative technology organization that provides work life balance and supports employee development and growth. So if you are looking to work somewhere you can stretch your skillset while having fun, look no further!
- Competitive Compensation
- Healthcare Reimbursement Account
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- 401K Retirement Savings Plan with Company Match
- Flexible PTO (Available right away. We want you to take the time you need.
- 10 Paid Holidays Including Your Birthday
- Parental Leave
- Paid Volunteer Time
- Employee Referral Program
- Fully Remote Organization
Capillary is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, age, religion, sex, veterans, individuals with disabilities, sexual orientation, or gender identity.
Web Software Developer
Compensation & Benefits
- Design, implement, and maintain operational web applications and dashboards.
- Program front-end interaction with REST APIs.
- Manage existing applications by way of bug fixing, app enhancement, and coordinate with users to resolve issues.
- Analyze current code base to identify areas of improvement and provide deadline estimates for implementing new features.
- Recommend software upgrades to optimize operational efficiency.
- Collaborate with other developers to design and optimize code.
- Establish and document best practices for development.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
- Exposure to Django web framework.
- Experience with UI/UX development, Adobe XD experience a plus.
- Fluent with API creation, interaction, and management (preferably REST).
- Understanding of Git and CI/CD.
- Ability to remain flexible and resilient in the face of change.
- Strong communication skills and ability to convey specialized concepts in an accessible manner to different audiences.
- Experience making sense of complex, high quantity, and sometimes contradictory information to effectively solve problems.
- Ability to plan and prioritize work to complete commitments, manage time, and meet deadlines.
Applicants must demonstrate the potential ability to perform the essential functions of the job as outlined in the position description.
This job description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
- This role is expected to work during UMB office hours which are Monday through Friday, 8am to 5pm Mountain Time.
- The University of Utah is committed to providing jobs to individuals located in Utah, and sees remote roles like this as an opportunity to provide amazing employment opportunities to those living in remote areas of the state. As such, Utah-based applicants may be prioritized in the screening process.
- At this time, the University of Utah is unable to employ individuals living in California, Colorado, New York, Oregon, or Washington.
Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action (OEO/AA)
383 University Street, Level 1OEOSuite
Salt Lake City, UT 84112
Online reports may be submitted atoeo.utah.edu
We are looking for an outstanding Web Developer to be responsible for the coding, innovative design and layout of our website. Web developer responsibilities include building our website from concept all the way to completion from the bottom up, fashioning everything from the home page to site layout and function.
- Write well designed, testable, efficient code by using best software development practices
- Create website layout/user interface by using standard HTML/CSS practices
- Integrate data from various back-end services and databases
- Gather and refine specifications and requirements based on technical needs
- Create and maintain software documentation
- Be responsibile for maintaining, expanding, and scaling our site
- Stay plugged into emerging technologies/industry trends and apply them into operations and activities
- Cooperate with web designers to match visual design intent
- Proven working experience in web programming
- Top-notch programming skills and in-depth knowledge of modern HTML/CSS
- A solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
- Adequate knowledge of relational database systems, Object Oriented Programming and web application development
- Hands-on experience with network diagnostics, network analytics tools
- Basic knowledge of Search Engine Optimization process
- Aggressive problem diagnosis and creative problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills to juggle multiple tasks within the constraints of timelines and budgets with business acumen
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment, learn rapidly and master diverse web technologies and techniques.
- BS in computer science or a related field
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $81,000.00 - $96,000.00 per year
- Monday to Friday
Work Location: Remote
Remote Machine Learning Developer
Are you on the hunt for exciting new challenges that boost your professional growth? If you’re an innovator by nature and a Machine Learning Developer by trade, we’d love to hear from you! Read on to see if you’d be a good fit for the Scopic team of 250+ professionals from over 40 countries.
- 3+ years of commercial web development.
- Professional experience with DL Frameworks (e.g. TensorFlow, PyTorch)
- DL Experience is needed (Ideally experience in a DL stream as the position entails working with Vision, Language, GNN, Speech etc.)
- Mathematical fundamentals and algorithms skills or experience
- Excellent programming (Python), debugging, and test design skills
- Basic exposure to computer architecture, ideally accelerators and numerical software
- Ability to work independently and manage individuals’ R&D efforts
- Good communication and documentation habits
- Project Management tools knowledge
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Able to work remotely
This is a full-time, home-based position.
The secret ingredients that make us special:
- Your growth is our growth. We invest in your future with paid training and other professional opportunities.
- We’re industry innovators at the forefront of change. Equipped with the latest technologies and a team of knowledgeable colleagues by your side, you’ll embrace new and interesting challenges.
- Your location. Your schedule — Pick your time zone, choose your preferred hours, and work from the place where you feel most at home.
- Flexibility and freedom are in our DNA! As long as you have a stable internet connection and the drive to thrive, you can travel and work from anywhere you like.
- A workload you can rely on. We’ll set you enough tasks to keep that mind busy! At Scopic, we’ll ensure you always have a consistent flow of engaging, challenging work to do.
- Recognition and reward. We acknowledge diligence and hard work through annual pay increases for good performance.
Down to business!
- Your starting rate is negotiable depending on your skills and experience.
- This is an hourly paid position.
- Contractors are paid monthly via wire transfer.
Scopic is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, marital status, national origin, gender, veteran status, sexual orientation, age, or disability status.
Have the skills, the drive, and the passion to join the Scopic family?
Apply today to join our growing team of remote professionals from around the world.
Junior Software Developer (Remote)
Full Job Description
Location – 100% Remote – US Wide
The SnapRISK Junior Software Developer position is intended for those looking to jump starting their software development careers. We seek a candidate with a strong desire to contribute to our development team's fast paced development cycle. This is a full-time salaried position starting in May 2023.
· Generate custom reports on an as needed basis
· Find and leverage open-source data
· Research and seek out new technology platforms whenever innovation is needed
· Provide support to management for clients on an as needed basis
· Assist with various project activities on an as needed basis
· Interested in developing, improving, troubleshooting, and maintaining computer software applications.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Ability to work independently on projects
· Critical thinking and problem-solving skills
· Working knowledge of CPU systems
· The ability to read, comprehend, and troubleshoot existing code to fix errors and bugs
· Automate current systems and tasks
· Ability to adapt to different technologies including web builders and mapping software
· Management of web domains (Google Workspace, GoDaddy)
· 6+ months experience with web development or a similar application development role
· Basic understanding of relational databases and how to write SQL statements
· Proficiency in MS Excel
· Knowledge and ability to learn API requests (GET, POST, PUT) and read API documentation
The following will be considered an advantage:
· Experience developing or managing mapping-oriented applications
· Experience developing, designing, or managing UI/UX
· Experience with JS mapping libraries (Leaflet, Mapbox, etc) and the ArcGIS platform
· Experience collecting or managing large datasets including GeoJSON data
· Experience with geospatial computations (transformations, distance from point, point inside polygon, center of mass, etc.)
· Experience with Google Apps Scripts, specifically to automate email and spreadsheet related tasks
· Experience using the Google Cloud platform and utilizing Google APIs
· Experience creating HTML/CSS templated reports
· Experience with responsive web design and libraries such as Bootstrap, Tailwind CSS, etc.
· Computer Science related degree
SnapRISK (formerly Carrington Risk) was founded in 2007 to focus on providing indispensable risk consulting services to our clients through the innovation of SnapRISK® technology. The advantage of using SnapRISK® for property risk engineering and data management is that it was developed out of industry need by industry experts, not an IT department. This allows our engineers to collect all traditional risk engineering survey data in a system that is optimized for customization and collaborative gathering of non-traditional client specific data. We help our clients manage risks across all types of industries to help mitigate loss and save our clients on insurance premiums. Utilizing SnapRISK®:
➢Challenges the traditional method of completing property risk field surveys
➢Integrates with legacy systems
➢Customizes client specific requests
➢Provides Geographic Information System Mapping
➢Increases risk awareness and the successful completion of risk improvement measures
➢Improves risk analysis capabilities and supports risk reduction across client portfolio’s
➢Provides verifiable return on investment
As an innovative technology leader for property risk consulting services, we are changing the benchmark for risk engineering service companies. SnapRISK® services are designed to create sustainable change to your property, people, processes, and workflows. Once we engage, we become part of their Risk Management team and our main goal is to always know more than the markets, with data to back it up.
SnapRISK is an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate in hiring or terms and conditions of employment because of an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, sexual orientation, marital status or any other protected category recognized by state, federal or local laws. We only hire individuals authorized for employment in the United States.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $40,741.19 - $95,414.31 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
- API requests: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: Remote
Freelance Web Designer (Contract)
We are currently seeking a Freelance Designer to join our team at Loopdash. As a designer dedicated to building for the web, you will be responsible for working directly with client stakeholders, project managers, and developers to drive project success. This role is expected to fluctuate. Only candidates with a portfolio/website will be considered.
We need someone who can think and act independently. You will be responsible for project planning, requirements gathering, scope delimiting, resource management, budgeting, and project delivery, ensuring that the job is completed on-time and on-budget.
- At least two years of experience in design preferably web or digital, with a focus on UI design.
- Proficiency in Figma, Sketch, and other design tools.
- Ability to create intuitive, user-friendly designs for both web and mobile applications.
- Understanding of web standards, accessibility, and usability guidelines.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to collaborate with developers, project managers, and other stakeholders.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- An eye for detail and a passion for creating beautiful, functional designs.
We understand that if you are passionate about design, you have likely already encountered some of the topics mentioned and more. We are more interested in your theoretical knowledge than the specifics, but we trust that you have the determination and intellectual curiosity to quickly learn what you are not already aware of.
- 100% remote; work from wherever you work best
- Flexible schedule; work whenever as long as deadlines are met
- We strive for async, so minimal Zoom & Google meetings.
Job Type: Contract
Pay: $25.00 - $65.00 per hour
- Monday to Friday
- Can you give a link to your portfolio?
Work Location: Remote
2023-05-014 weeks ago
Digital Agency Project Manager
This position is for candidates located in the United States. It is a full-time position and you will need to be a citizen, a legal resident, or have perminant permission to work in the US to apply.
Solid Digital is a digital agency specializing in website design, web development, and helping B2B marketing teams improve their online presence and grow their digital value. We exist to build a beacon that attracts like-minded clients and talent that are motivated to innovate and grow.
We’re rooted in our values. We live and breathe them every day. Are we a good fit for everyone? Nope, and that's okay. If you're searching for a company that focuses on relationships, innovation, and long-term growth, we'd love you on our team.
I offer up my very best ideas with no agenda. I take the success of our clients and each other seriously and freely offer honest advice.
I am client-focused. I clearly set expectations and keep my promises. I go above and beyond.
I work the same way with our customers as I do with my team. I actively listen and participate in every discussion. I am engaged and open-minded. I know that the best solutions are discovered only after I have considered all possibilities and worked as a team to get it right.
I am proud of the work that I create. I always work to improve my skills so that I can provide the best solutions.
Performance Goals + Expectations
- Plan and manage web design, support, and digital marketing projects in alignment with scope, budget, timelines, and Solid Digital project management best practices.
- Act as a confident advisor and provide clear and consistent communication with our clients and project teams throughout the project lifecycle.
- Deliver our services with a strong focus on the client’s experience.
- Organization: Is disciplined and methodical. Detail-oriented and organized. Checks both your own and your project team’s work thoroughly to avoid mistakes and uphold the quality of our deliverables. Tracks project progress, budget, and timeline regularly. Task-oriented. Follow-up as promised.
- Time Management: Uses time efficiently and effectively. Delivers promises in a timely manner.
- Customer Focus: Acts with customers in mind. Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and our team and gains their trust & respect.
- Listening: Attentive and active listener. Asking thoughtful questions to get a good understanding. Probing questions. Clarifying questions. Confirmation questions.
- Command Skills: Has presence. Can take control of a situation and make decisions. Sets clear expectations to the client about Solid Digital’s delivery process, including timelines & expectations.
- Collaboration & Teamwork: Building deep & trusted relationships with peers and clients, leveraging the team's collective expertise and experiences to drive successful project outcomes.
- Operations: Understands how our organization delivers our offerings and can speak to and execute our processes following best practices.
- Work with the project team to plan and manage projects such as website redesigns, support, and digital marketing.
- Confidently and proactively provide clear and consistent communication to both our clients and project team to ensure everyone has what they need in advance and are clear on the next steps.
- Execute project production and delivery in alignment with the project scope, on time, and within budget.
- Prepare for and participate in weekly resourcing meetings and daily team standups.
- Scope, estimate, plan, and manage support work
- Champion and participate in process improvements
- 3+ years of experience as a Project Manager at a Digital Agency
- 3+ years of experience managing website redesign projects preferably WordPress
- Clear and concise written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Professional remote working environment
- Reliable internet to accommodate video conference and screen sharing
Benefits + Compensation
- Annual base compensation of $65,000-$86,000 depending on experience
- Medical and Dental Insurance
- 401k Matching
- Annual work from home allowance (Solid360 program)
- Paid Time Off
- Sick Days
- Paid Holidays
2023-05-014 weeks ago
The demand for remote web developer jobs is increasing. As remote working becomes more popular, and web development and programming skills more sought-after, the range of opportunities is diversifying all the time.
This useful guide provides information about remote jobs for those who are looking for entry-level, mid-level, and advanced roles. For those who have skills and experience already, remote working offers a wealth of benefits and the chance to take control of your schedule and your salary. For those considering a career change, there are several advantages of considering a web development role, including job security and the chance to progress quickly.
Within the world of web development, there are multiple roles to explore. In this table and the section that follows, we will analyze the types of freelance web developer jobs on offer, the skills required and the responsibilities involved.
Key Programming Skills
Average Hourly Pay
Front-end Web Developer
Backend Web Developer
Full Stack Web Developer
WordPress Web Developer
Front-end Web Developer
A front-end developer works alongside back-end developers and web designers to combine technology and design, creating pages that look brilliant and deliver on functionality. This role involves converting files into code languages, including HTML, for example, to produce a package that is attractive and inviting for web users.
- Figuring out the structure and design of web pages.
- Optimizing user experience.
- Adding and developing interactive features.
- Using multiple programming languages.
- Creating reusable code for future use.
- Experience in web design and using programs such as Adobe Illustrator.
- Knowledge of SEO and understanding of server-side CSS.
- Agile methodologies including sprint and scrum.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related field.
Back-end Web Developer
A back-end web developer is focused on server-side architecture, which is essentially the behind-the-scenes action. Back-end developers work with front-end developers to write and integrate features and services that are used by front-end developers. The core elements of this role focus on databases, the building of websites and scripting.
- Building reusable code and creating frameworks.
- Integrating user-facing elements by means of server-side logic.
- Working with front-end developers.
- Integrating data security and privacy measures.
- Working on storage solutions.
- Identifying solutions to achieve website goals.
- Knowledge of programming languages, including Java, Python, Ruby, and Net.
- Understanding of DBMS technology, including MySQL, Oracle Berkeley DB, Redis, and MongoDB.
- Understanding of LINUX.
- Knowledge of web services and API, for example, SOAP, and REST.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related subject is desirable.
- Proficiency in ASP.
Full-Stack Web Developer
A full-stack developer has the skills and expertise to work on both front-end and back-end development. This role involves converting user requirements and preferences into workable structures and design elements and implementing changes and new features. Full-stack web developers work on both the client and server sides.
- Create web architecture based on user needs.
- Managing projects.
- Solving database queries.
- Building test code.
- Analyzing site and app performance.
- Knowledge of server-side programming languages, for example, Ruby, Python, and Java.
- Knowledge of DBMS and caching mechanisms, such as Oracle, SQL, and Redis.
- Basic web design skills.
- Knowledge of version control systems, eg Git.
- Understanding of API, for example, REST, and SOAP.
- Use of stacks, for example, LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), and tools including Glassfish and Perl/Plack.
- A degree in Computer Science or a technology-based subject is desirable.
- Developing and improving web pages.
- Creating new interactive features and dynamic websites.
- Assisting with front-end development work.
- Analyzing code and code metrics.
- Identifying and implementing ways to enhance performance, including web application development.
- Experience in HTML and CSS.
- Coding experience in jQuery, Angular JS, EmberJS, and Backbone.
- Knowledge of CSS compiler, for example, LESS, and Sass.
- Experience in JS frameworks, for example, Node.js.
- Experience in front-end tools, such as Grunt and Gulp JS.
- Degree in Computer Science, MIS, Engineering or a related subject.
PHP developers write server-side applications, supporting the work of front-end and back-end web developers to create efficient information systems. The primary responsibilities are developing components, creating plug-ins and integrating the work of front-end professionals.
- Integrating user-faced elements produced by front-end developers.
- Building effective PHP modules.
- Problem-solving to enhance performance and create more efficient structures.
- Integrating data storage solutions.
- Advanced knowledge of PHP frameworks, including Yii and Laravel.
- Proficiency in MVC design patterns.
- Understanding of security and data privacy compliance.
- Web design skills.
- Knowledge of SQL databases.
- Understanding of GIT.
- Degree in Computer Science or a relevant subject is desirable.
WordPress Web Developer
WordPress is one of the most popular blogging and content management systems (CMS) in web development. WordPress developers are increasingly sought-after due to the ever-increasing popularity of this platform. The role involves employing a combination of front-end and back-end development skills to create WordPress themes and plugins.
- Developing and implementing themes and plugins for WordPress.
- Contributing to the architecture of the website.
- Managing the technical aspects of the content management system.
- Using web design and development skills to build responsive, interactive websites.
- Proficiency in all aspects of WordPress.
- Experience of web design.
- Understanding of debugging tools.
- Knowledge of APIs.
- Use of code versioning tools, for example, Git.
- Knowledge of PHP development.
- Degree in Computer Science or a related subject is desirable.
- Understanding of Enterprise Content Management (ECM) and ecommerce management.
Web Developer as a Remote Profession
Remote Developer Jobs
Opportunities for remote web developers are becoming more abundant as demand for web development skills increases and technology advances. Remote working and freelancing are becoming more commonplace, with more and more employers choosing to offer flexible working arrangements and more individuals switching to freelance careers.
If you have development skills, you’re currently undertaking training, or you’re thinking of looking into remote entry level web developer jobs and climbing the career ladder, it’s worth thinking about being a remote web developer and what the job entails. Remote working offers a raft of advantages, but there are also some limitations to consider.
The Benefits of Remote Working
The way we work is changing, and fewer people now spend eight hours a day sitting in an office. Remote working enables people to work from home, or to tackle and complete tasks on the move. Many people choose to work from home as a freelancer or a remote employee, but this is not the only option.
As a remote web developer, you can choose to work almost anywhere, provided that you have the tools and technology you need. If you choose to work remotely, you can also take advantage of greater flexibility in terms of managing your schedule. Although many people stick to a routine, you can decide when you work and adapt your diary to suit clients or other commitments.
When you work for an employer, you sign a contract, which outlines your working hours and your salary. If you’re a freelancer, you have more say over the remote web developer jobs salary, as you can set your own rates. This might mean that you earn more.
Most people want to enjoy a healthy work-life balance, but if you’re tied to a desk, or you have to spend hours commuting every day, this can be challenging. With remote working and telecommute web developer roles, gaining control of your schedule can help you strike a better balance between work and downtime.
Choosing where to work can often make managing your schedule easier. You can take away your commuting time and choose to meet clients at locations that work for both parties. You can also choose your hours. If you don’t want to work full-time, you can look for part-time remote web developer jobs, for example.
Job Security and Progression
Remote web developers jobs in the USA and other countries are becoming more commonplace, and the skills possessed by web developers are in demand. If you choose to work remotely, you can take advantage of the best offers out there, working with clients all over the world to improve your portfolio, expand your skills, gain experience and boost your income.
Progress at Your Own Pace
Remote web developers can enjoy a host of benefits, but there are some potential drawbacks. These include:
- Isolation and Loneliness - Some people prefer their own space, and they don’t mind being on their own during working hours. For others, the idea of going hours without speaking to somebody or seeing a colleague seems strange and even daunting. Isolation is a risk when you work remotely, but with modern-day communication tools and software, many people still feel like they’re connected and part of a team.
- Distraction - When you’re sitting at a desk surrounded by people tapping away on keyboards or talking to clients on the phone, it may be easier to focus on the task at hand. With online web developer jobs, there is the possibility of getting distracted. To prevent this from happening, it’s best to establish a routine and to ensure you choose places to work that are quiet and comfortable.
- Pay Fluctuations - If you work remotely, and you don’t have a long-term contract, you may experience fluctuations in your earnings, which can make budgeting more difficult. You might find that you earn a lot more in some months than you do others, and that you go through busy and quieter periods.
Top 10 IDEs for Freelance Web Developers
These experts require access to special tools to do their jobs to the best of their ability. One useful tool for developers of all abilities is Integrated Development Environments, or IDEs.
There are multiple IDEs available, so which ones are the best?
Here’s a list of 10 top platforms to consider:
- Visual Studio
- IntelliJ Idea
- Komodo IDE
- Sublime Text 3
- Eclipse IDE
Top 5 Online Communication Tools for Remote Web Programmers
Like with other remote web developer jobs, web programmers may not be office-based, but that doesn’t mean that they don’t need to keep in touch with colleagues and clients. Communication tools play a valuable role in connecting different types of developers to facilitate cohesion and improve the outcome of projects.
Here are 5 of the best online communication tools for remote web programmers:
- Slack: Slack is a team app, which is based on a virtual office setup. With this tool, you can engage and interact in real-time, report on and update business activity and receive instant feedback.
- Trello: Trello is a project management tool, which promotes organizational skills and time management and enables developers to work collaboratively.
- Google Drive: cloud-based systems like Google Drive, Adobe Creative Cloud and Dropbox facilitate easy file sharing and seamless cooperative working.
- Zoom: video conferencing and calling is an excellent way of staying in touch when you’re a remote worker, and it can save a huge amount of time, effort and money by eliminating the need to travel to face-to-face meetings. Zoom is a reliable tool for formal meetings, as well as informal catch-ups, which can boost morale and improve communications.
- Flexibits: Flexibits is useful for remote workers because it enables you to find times to make calls or schedule meetings with coworkers or clients based on multiple schedules and calendars.
Top 5 Repository Tools for Freelance Web Developers
Repositories are used to store resources that can be used on demand. Examples of software repositories include LINUX and hosted repositories such as Git. Freelance web developers can benefit from repository tools to aid collaboration and increase the efficiency of projects. Here are 5 of the best:
- BitBucket: this tool offers unrestricted private code repositories for Git and Mercurial.
- SourceForge: this is a community resource, which is designed for use with Windows, LINUX and Macs.
- GitLab: GitLab is an innovative tool, which enables you to install it on your own server to cater for custom hosts and domains.
- CloudForge: with this repository tool, you can choose between Subversion and Git hosting.
- Launchpad: Launchpad is a cohesive software platform that offers code hosting, debugging and code reviews.
Top 10 Job Boards Offering Remote Web Developer Jobs
While it’s beneficial to have access to a host of websites that advertise vacancies and promote jobs, it can be difficult to know where to start when narrowing down the options and finding a reliable, trustworthy job board. To help you find the perfect job, here are 10 of the best currently available:
- We Work Remotely
- Stack Overflow
- Authentic Jobs
- Git Hub Jobs
- Reddit (search for remote web developer jobs on Reddit)
Best MOOCs for Web Developers
MOOC stands for Massive Online Open Course. MOOCs are emerging as an increasingly popular means of accessing education. MOOCs are cheaper than conventional college courses, and they’re also more flexible and accessible. For web developers, there’s a plethora of courses available to cater for all skill levels. The best options include:
- Coursera: Coursera is one of the largest platforms, and it caters for beginners, juniors, mid-level developers and experienced professionals keen to embrace continuous learning. There are currently over 3,000 MOOCs available covering everything from beginner’s modules and single page application to advanced courses in Python, Ruby and JSP.
- edX: edX is the second-largest platform behind Coursera with over 2,000 courses on offer. Beginners can take advantage of foundation programs, and there are also more specific and detailed courses available for those with mid-level or senior positions.
- FutureLearn: FutureLearn is an excellent resource for junior-level developers, as well as those keen to hone their skills in graphic design, web design, web content development and web science.
How to Get a Remote Programming Job
If you’re searching for a remote programming job, it’s natural to want to maximize your chances of landing the job you want as quickly as possible. To streamline the process and help you find the best remote web developer jobs, here are some tips to take on board:
- Update your resume and prepare a cover letter — before sending any applications or uploading your resume, review it and make sure it is up to date. Your resume should be punchy and to the point, highlighting your main strengths and making your intentions clear.
- Focus your search on the best websites and job boards — if you know what kind of position you’re looking for, you can increase the chances of finding the right job by focusing your search on the best job sites and boards.
- Tailor your resume to suit individual positions — you might find that you come across adverts for slightly different roles, and that the job specification changes. To improve your chances of getting the best remote web developer jobs, it’s worth reading the job description carefully and tailor your resume to ensure that it corresponds with the individual advert.
- Register with recruiters — recruitment agencies are designed to match talent with vacancies, and they can help you to find suitable roles and introduce you to prospective clients.
- Gain as much experience as you can — if you’re looking for jobs, but you don’t meet the criteria or you lack specific skills or experience, consider learning on the go. If you can add courses, study or train more or gain more experience by looking for remote entry-level web developer jobs, for example, this will help you improve your credentials and your career prospects.
- Network — networking is crucial when you’re a freelance or remote worker. Make use of any existing contacts you have and make an effort to expand your network and meet new people.
- Ask for feedback — if you’ve worked on projects previously, and you’re looking for new clients and more work, ask for feedback and encourage clients to leave reviews and ratings.
Who Is Remote Programming Best Suited For?
Remote working is a feature of our modern-day society, and a growing number of people are choosing to work from home or take on remote roles. As we have discovered, there are several advantages of remote working, but it might not be the most appealing option for everyone. Before you apply for online web developer jobs, it’s wise to think about whether this type of work will suit you. Typically, remote working is best for:
People who like to work from home
Working from home can offer convenience and flexibility, while also providing a healthier work-life balance. When you work from home, you don’t have to worry about commuting or spending time going out to meet clients.
Some people love being home-based, whereas others struggle with distractions. To succeed, it’s beneficial to get into a routine and to make sure you have a workspace at home that provides peace and quiet. You’ll also need to ensure that you have all the web development tools and equipment you need.
In some cases, working from home is a great idea, but if you’re short on space, you have a busy household, or you struggle staying disciplined away from an office environment, this might not be the ideal choice for you.
Restricted mobility or problems getting around
Some people find it much easier to get out and about than others. Health issues or practical concerns, for example, relying on public transport, might mean that remote working is a better option for you.
When it comes to remote web developer jobs, your place of work is totally up to you, and you don’t have to worry about turning up at the office at a certain time. Therefore, if you live in a rural area, public transport links are poor, or you have health issues that affect your ability to travel extensively, it’s worth considering the option of working remotely.
People who prefer to work alone
Some people live for spending time with colleagues at work, and the relationships they have with fellow employees are integral to the enjoyment of their jobs. For others, working alone is a more attractive proposition (particularly if you’re a creative worker, such as a graphic designer). If you like being your own boss, or you find it easier to focus when you’re alone, you might prefer to work remotely, rather than being part of an office-based team.
Sometimes, your background can influence how you prefer to work. Some people might be used to large teams and busy offices, whereas others might find this a daunting prospect. Past experiences may also shape how you feel about worki
Frequently Asked Questions
What kind of remote programming jobs are there?
The range of remote programming jobs is increasing all the time, and this is an exciting era in which to be a web developer. The most common types of remote jobs in this field include:
- Front-end web developer
- Back-end web developer
- Full-stack web developer
- WordPress developer
- PHP developer
How to find remote web developer jobs?
The Internet is an incredible resource for finding job adverts and accessing remote web development opportunities. To find the best jobs, focus your search on reputable, trustworthy sites that have excellent ratings and relationships with top clients. When you’re looking for a job, use search engines to locate the best-performing job boards and read user reviews before you upload your resume or submit any applications. Before you apply, it’s best to review and edit your resume to suit the individual job description. The Internet will also help you find educational and training courses, which can help to expand your skill set and improve your employability. Reading industry-specific magazines and blogs could also point you in the direction of websites that advertise developer jobs.
Where to find remote web developer jobs?
If you’re on the hunt for a new job, and your preference is to work remotely, it’s wise to use the net to find vacancies and register your interest in open positions. You can join websites, register with recruiters or respond to individual adverts posted by clients on job boards or forums. Take care to choose reliable, secure sites. If you do subscribe to a recruitment agency or a jobs website, you’ll receive updates and notifications about suitable roles, usually via email. You might also be able to find vacancies by looking at adverts in newspapers and industry publications or via networking.