This job post is no longer available
01 Jul → 31 Jul
East St Louis, IL, USA
Land of Lincoln Legal Aid seeks a part-time staff attorney at its Legal Advice and Referral Center (LARC) hotline. Land of Lincoln Legal Aid provides free civil legal services to low-income individuals in 65 counties in Illinois. We are committed to working for justice for with those whose voices might otherwise not be heard; to empower individuals to advocate for themselves, and to make positive changes in the communities we serve. Our attorneys provide holistic legal advocacy in partnership with community organizations, social service agencies, and faith-based groups.
The LARC hotline is designed to promptly provide high-quality information, legal advice, and brief legal services, in addition to referrals to the regional offices. The staff attorney in this position will screen callers and conduct phone interviews in a wide range of substantive areas of law, including housing, consumer, family, and public benefits. The attorney will provide advice to eligible callers. In some instances, the staff attorney may conduct brief services in the areas of consumer law and sealing and expungement of criminal records.
- Screen callers for income eligibility, conflicts of interest, etc.
- Interview clients, identify legal issues and provide appropriate advice
- Provide customer service that is culturally competent and empathetic
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements / Qualifications
- Licensed to practice law in Illinois or has requisite credentials for reciprocity
- At least 2 years+ experience, preferably in legal aid
- Strong commitment to social and racial justice
- Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment
- Highly motivated and demonstrated ability to work independently as well as part of a team
- Spanish fluency preferred, but not required
- Computer proficiency required
- Excellent verbal and analytical skills
- Attention to detail
How To Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to the following Managing Attorney: Michele Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org.